14 Things You Probably Didn’t Know About “The Wizard Of Oz”
1. This “fire” was actually apple juice spewing out of Dorothy’s shoes; the film was sped up to make it look like fire.
2. The Cowardly Lion’s facial makeup included pieces of a brown paper bag.
3. Judy Garland couldn’t stop giggling while filming the scene in which Dorothy slaps the Cowardly Lion. The director, Victor Fleming, took her aside and slapped her. She returned to the set and filmed the scene in one take.
4. Toto the dog was a female Cairn Terrier named Terry.
5. The scarecrow face prosthetics that Ray Bolger wore left a pattern of lines on his face that took more than a year to vanish.
6. Most of the Wicked Witch’s scenes had to be edited or cut all together after they were deemed too frightening for children.
More Things You Didn’t Know About The Wizard Of Oz…
7. The Cowardly Lion was originally going to be played by Jackie the MGM Lion, with lines dubbed in by an actor, until Bert Lahr came up for the part.
8. The famous sequined shoes were originally silver
9. The “oil” that was used to lubricate the Tin Man was chocolate syrup. (Real oil didn’t photograph well.)
10. The Cowardly Lion’s costume was made of real lion pelts (skin and fur).
11. Whoa: Liza Minnelli, daughter of Judy Garland, was married to Jack Haley Jr., the son of Jack Haley, who played the Tin Man.
12. You can clearly see the trap door open in the scene where the Wicked Witch departs Munchkinland.
13. Dorothy’s white dress was actually pink, which was easier to shoot in Technicolor.
14. Margaret Hamilton’s makeup was toxic and could not be ingested, so she lived almost entirely on a liquid diet during filming.
You’ve just read, Things You Didn’t Know About The Wizard Of Oz. Why not read I Blamed My Wife For Our Messy House I Was Wrong For So Many Reasons